Saturday, November 21, 2009

First Courir

As a freshman at William and Mary I decided that I needed to do something monumental with all of my free time. I have always been interested in people who can stretch their physical capabilities and do amazing things. My best friend's mother became interested in running several years ago. She introduced me to running I decided to run my first 5K. It turned out to be an embarrassment since I could not run the whole thing (she was so much faster than I and I was a teenager). Since recovering from this experience I decided to give another race a try. I ran (actually ran/walked a lot) of the Richmond Marathon's 8K. I felt so accomplished after the four or so miles, but I knew that I could do better. I stayed a little after the race to watch the marathon runners finish their race. It amazed me to see the runners run that far in such a short time. I became enthralled with all of the runners and I gained such an appreciation for their persistence. I mean really, 26.2 miles!

So I recently signed up for a Half-Marathon in March of 2010. First, I need to say that I am not an athlete. Upon coming to college I decided that I could make myself an athlete since it is possible to reinvent yourself. I became consistent with by running in August because I am a scheduling nut and it was a way to keep somewhat of a schedule in college. I run a short distance every Monday, Wednesday, and Friday. I have not missed my running time at 8 am yet...except when I had swine flu. Since none of my family is athletic I wanted to document this adventure. I feel that over the past few months I have gained a new outlook on athletics. I expect a slight lifestyle change as I continue running. So this blog will explore the new lifestyle of a new runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment