Monday, November 23, 2009

Running Rhythm

As I mentioned in my last post, I have rhythmic breathing patterns. I remember experiencing this when I was much younger in elementary school and we had to run the mile for fitness testing. Although then I was more concerned with my time than distance, I remember concentrating on my breath.

I need to preface this by saying that I am a musician. I play the cello and I also sing. Music has always been present in my family because my parents are both musicians and my grandmother was a music teacher. Since I was raised taking music lessons, I have always been humming and counting out beats in my head subconsciously. In the fifth grade I got in trouble for humming all of the time and I never knew that I was the one humming. Now that I am in college I have continued music by taking cello lessons and singing in the Williams and Mary Choir, or for those who understand, KWAH.

A couple of days ago I was running with a friend from my dorm. She recently completed her first half-marathon this month but has a natural athletic inclination. I feel a little slow when running with her but she always assures me that I am running at a fine pace. When we were running through campus we got quiet after about a mile and she started listening to my breathing pattern. She started to laugh because she could not believe that I was bringing music into yet another part of my life. I have always had this same style of breathing but I thought that it was normal. There is a constant rhythm to taking the next step so I thought that a breath pattern went along as another rhythm. She and all of the other runner girls on my hall make fun of me now because they say I cannot leave my music behind and just run.

No comments:

Post a Comment